To: All Executive Mayors
RESPONSE TO COUNCIL RESOLUTIONS FOR MUNICIPALITIES TO USE COUNCIL FUNDS TO PURCHASE WORI.D CUP TICKETS
It has recently come to my attention from National Treasury that some Gauteng municipalities have taken resolutions to purchase 2010 World Cup tickets and T-shirts utilizing municipal funds.
I then requested that you furnish me with reasons as to why you took this resolution. A number of municipalities responded and cited several reasons for the decision. The main reason given across the board was the fact that each municipal jurisdiction is hosting an international team for purposes of training, and that it is therefore imperative that the municipal leadership should attend matches as hosts to these teams. Municipalities also argued that this will be used as a marketing strategy for purposes of promoting the work of the Municipality.
I have considered all of the reasons given and have concluded on the following recommendations:
1. The municipalities to be represented by a bare minimum number of leaders. E.g. Mayor and MM.
2. The municipalities should identify and target those matches in which there will be value add for the municipality in terrns of marketing the municipality. ln this regard, there should be a clear indication of the relationship building with the hosted team and the benefits that the relationship will bring to the municipality.
3. lt is recommended however, that all Gauteng chosen representatives attend the opening and closing matches.
4. Travel to other provinces has to be justified on the partnership building basis.
5. That the municipalities as far as possible approach the Corporates to fund their attendance to the matches.
MEG: LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND HOUSING
DATE: 17 May 2010
Cc: Municipal Managers
Source: Democratic Alliance, June 9 2010
Click here to sign up to receive our free daily headline email newsletter