We have not heard from police since robbery – Suzman Foundation
Pretoria – The Helen Suzman Foundation (HSF) has not heard from the SA Police Service since its Johannesburg office was robbed last month, its director said on Wednesday.
“We have not heard anything from the SAPS. [Since] two and a half weeks ago, they have not reported back, they have not inquired, they have not interviewed me any further other than the first contact,” said Francis Antonie.
“It’s very unfortunate. I hope any other robberies are not treated in this sort of way. Maybe they are intensely involved in finding out who did it but in two and a half weeks there hasn’t been any news which is rather a pity because it leads to wild speculations and we want to stop wild speculations.”
The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) could not be immediately reached for comment.
The group of armed robbers held up an unarmed security guard at the entrance to the premises in Parktown, Johannesburg and made directly for the foundation's offices.
Antonie said at the time of the break-in, that after forcing the guard to open the gate, the invaders drove their vehicle into the basement and used the lift. Other businesses in the building were left alone. Besides computers, nothing else of value was taken.
The robbery occurred two days before the foundation and Freedom Under Law’s litigation against the government began.
It would be appropriate for police to keep in touch with them at least once a week but that had not been the case, Antonie said, adding that the lack of communication was pushing them into considering hiring a private investigator to look into the matter.
“I presume they have taken statements from the security guards but everything is hearsay."
The HSF, along with Freedom Under Law, brought an urgent court bid to have Hawks head, Berning Ntlemeza, removed from office, arguing that two previous courts had found him unfit to hold office. Judgment in the matter was reserved.
Asked if there could be a link between the robbery and the court case, Antonie did not rule out the possibility.
This article first appeared on News24 – see here.