NEWS & ANALYSIS

5 300 matric candidates under investigation over mass copying - DBE

Dept says team conducting hearings starting with Chief Invigilators and Invigilators, and then the affected matriculants

Mass cheating investigation hearings to begin tomorrow

11 January 2015

The investigation into irregularities involving mass copying in the 2014 National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination is underway. The investigation started when the department and Umalusi picked up possible group cheating in some examination centers in KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape.

A team comprising of the Department of Basic Education, Umalusi representatives and provincial education department officials in the affected provinces has completed the first phase of the investigation last week. The second phase which commences tomorrow (Monday 12 January) will have the team conduct hearings starting with Chief Invigilators and Invigilators, and then the affected matriculants will also appear before the committee to tell their side of the story. Umalusi will monitor the entire process while teacher unions will observe the hearings.

Between 23 and 26 January the Provincial Examination and Assessment Irregularities Comittee will submit their recommendations to the National Examination and Assessment Irregularities Committee. The final outcome of the investigation will be announced and the results of the candidates whose cases have been cleared will be released. Letters of sanction for candidates found guilty of involvement will then be released.

"We want to conclude the process as soon as possible to allow those learners who are cleared of wrongdoing to continue with their lives and take advantage of opportunities available to them, and to institute the appropriate sanctions against those who are confirmed of wrongdoing," says Spokesperson of the Department Basic Education Elijah Mhlanga. Thereafter those who wish to appeal the outcomes of the investigation will be given an opportunity to do so. The final announcement on the investigation is expected to be made by 30 January.

More 5 300 candidates from all provinces are currently being investigated for various alleged irregularities including mass copying arising from the 2014 Grade 12 final examinations.

Statement issued by Elijah Mhlanga, Department of Basic Education, January 11 2015

Click here to sign up to receive our free daily headline email newsletter