IRR welcomes ConCourt decision to hear case on candidates’ list
10 September 2021
Last week the Constitutional Court dismissed the EFF’s request to reopen candidate nominations, but – with the ANC having failed to complete its candidate lists – the IEC decided it would reopen the lists anyway, a matter that is now back before the court.
The DA, first in filing papers opposing the IEC’s attempt to redraw the candidate nomination deadline, has been quickly joined by the IFP, which seeks to oppose the IEC in this regard as well.
The IRR, which previously acted as a friend, or amicus curiae, to the Constitutional Court, welcomes the ConCourt’s call for the IEC to answer the case against it, and its assent to considering evidence brought from any party to the matter, including the IRR.
The IEC and the ANC will have to answer the case against them with sworn affidavits by noon on Monday September 13. Both face the challenge of having previously told the court in sworn affidavits that it was impossible to do what they now say is possible to do, without any apparent reason for changing their view.
Other parties have until Wednesday September 15 to file submissions to the ConCourt. The IRR will consider the IEC and ANC submissions in assessing whether or not to further assist the court, as part of the #SaveTheVote project.
Said IRR head of campaigns Gabriel Crouse: “The IEC has tried to obstruct voters and the democratic process before, and it has been blocked before. We hope they will be blocked from burning deadlines again, and we aim to secure that hope by fact-finding and reason.”
Issued by Gabriel Crouse, IRR Head of Campaigns, 10 September 2021